Want us to let you in on the secret to building a successful salon business? “One by one by one.”
That’s the formula for not only building up a business from scratch, but also one of the keys to becoming a stylist to the stars, according to Julien Farel, who was able to accomplish both goals after coming to the United States in 1992 with little more than $2,000, some luggage, and a dream.
Farel, who has a salon on Park Avenue New York and a line of hair products, said the key is keeping your eye on satisfying one client at a time. While Farel’s own formula also included plenty of hard work (skipping bathroom breaks and cigarette breaks to work nonstop), here are 5 tips that can put you on the path to increasing your number of clients.
- Be willing to learn from others. Farel, a Frenchman who was unfamiliar with how things worked in the United States, studied the styling landscape in New York to size things up and how they worked.
- Do something to set yourself apart. The competition in New York is stiff. It didn’t take Farel long to figure out that he had to do something different to stand out from the best of the best.
- Develop a strategy for growing your business. Don’t rely on small successes to maintain your business for the long run. Take the time to outline a short-term plan and a long-term plan to ensure continuous growth. For example, Farel formed partnerships and developed innovative ideas to promote his brand and services.
- Take the time to understand your clients’ needs. Of course, it won’t do you any good to gain new clients if you can’t keep your current clients happy. Develop a reputation for truly caring about what your clients’ objectives are.
- Create ambience. In addition to providing unforgettable hairstyling services, make sure you focus on creating an atmosphere that is welcoming. If you’re a booth renter, you may not have a lot of control over the decor in your salon space. However, there are ways you can enhance your booth with aromatherapy, inviting music and other additions.
While you’re strategizing on ways to build your business, take steps to get better organized to save time and steps. Check out Stylie to help you keep things under control. The online scheduling and point-of-sale tool for independent beauty professionals helps you focus on keeping your clients happy. Request a free 30-day trial of Stylie to see how it can help you build your business — one client at a time.
-Easy for you, Easy to love-