Building a loyal client base is arguably one of the most difficult parts of being a hairstylist – even more so if you rent booths at multiple salons. However, there are methods you can use no matter where you rent that will keep clients coming back.
Here are 5 ways to build customer loyalty:
- Read your clients. Clients can expect completely different experiences from a visit to the salon. Some expect a hairstylist to make conversation during the entire appointment and offer suggestions for new cuts or colors. Others prefer a quiet time to relax and stick with the same style they’ve had for 20 years. Learning what your clients expect from you will make them more comfortable during their time at the salon. Don’t be afraid to ask a few questions to make sure you’re in sync with their expectations.
- Stay on top of trends. Just because you’ve graduated from cosmetology school doesn’t mean you’re done learning. Keeping up with the newest hair trends makes you prepared for fashion-forward clients who like to change their style often. Attend classes and keep fashion magazines handy to get an idea of what you’ll be expected to know.
- Offer a complementary service. Giving something away for free encourages clients to keep coming back. Consider offering services like eyebrow waxing, paraffin wax treatments or even glasses of wine or beer (if the salon allows it) for free with a hair appointment.
- Ask for feedback. Asking clients to rate your services or fill out a survey shows them that you care about your profession and are willing to improve. Some clients may not be willing to say how they felt directly, so offer a form or online survey for them to fill out on their own time.
- Say “thank you.” It’s the most basic rule of manners, but nothing keeps clients coming back like showing them that you appreciate their business. Sending follow-up emails, text messages or simply thanking them in person lets them know that their time is important.
Being able to make notes about each client and remembering birthdays are also effective ways of turning one-time customers into loyal clients. Stylie is an online calendar and point-of-sale system that can keep independent beauty professionals organized and clients satisfied. Contact us today for a free trial!
-Easy for you, Easy to love-