In this hair tutorial, Stylie’s Michelle G. works with the lovely Ivy to show you how to style gorgeous beach waves so you can rock a natural summer look.
Tips on how to create beach waves:
- Be sure to spray the hair first with a thermal protectant. This ensures that your hair won’t get damaged from the heat of the straightener while you’re styling. Spray a light amount all over the hair. Then, when you’re done spraying, take a brush and brush out each section to make sure that it’s applied throughout.
- When you first approach the hair with a straightener, you’re going to want to take 1-inch sections from the top of the head. Start on the side of the face and pull a vertical section straight down from your part. It’s ok if this section isn’t perfect, since we’re going for that “just woke up” appearance.
- Once you have your section, take the flat iron, twist it once away from the face and then pull it straight down. Once finished with that motion, you should have a nice curly wave. Repeat this motion on the next adjacent section and continue all around until you’ve reached the other side of the head.
- When you’re curling the back of the head, you’ll likely only need to curl the top layer of hair. Oftentimes if you curl the whole thing, you end up getting a bit too much “poofiness.”
- When curling the back, you should also try to alternate the direction of the curls. This will help your look appear more “natural.” So instead of always curling away from the face, flip the straightener so that you’re curling towards the face. You can alternate with each curl.
- Once you reach your other ear, be sure to go back to curling away from the face again so that both sides look symmetrical from the front.
- Remember that it’s ok for each curl to look a little different from the others. Don’t strive for perfection, because the point is to have a style that looks free and fun – not perfectly done up.
When you’re finished and the hair is cooled, spray all over with a nice ocean mist and gently scrunch and toss the hair with your fingers to finish the look. And you’re ready for your summer day! Now get on over to the beach and strut your surfer-girl style!
-Easy for you, Easy to love-